The Busy Nothings Report

" ...it was a quick succession of busy nothings... " - Jane Austen, Mansfield Park

"Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show." -Charles Dickens, David Copperfield

My Photo
Name:
Location: Waleska, Georgia, United States

Spiritual, Eccentric, Opinionated, Pale, Contemplative, Joyful, Benign, Ailing, Classical, Restrained, Complicated, Uncoordinated, Observant, Misunderstood, Wannabe Wit, Very Blessed

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Holy Week and Remembering Pope John Paul II




I am having a hard time believing that it has now been over a year since Pope John Paul II passed away. During this Holy Week, I have been reflecting on just how special, and remarkable, man he was. Pope John Paul forgave the man who shot him, suffered greatly in his later years and was such a guiding light to millions around the world. His Holiness had a strong devotion to young people, and they did to him. Every couple of years, the Catholic Church holds an amazing pilgrimage for young Catholics called World Youth Day. Tens of thousands of young adults, from all corners of the world, flock to that year's particular location of this pilgrimage. Though, I spent 6 years in youth ministry, I have yet to be blessed with a visit to World Youth Day. I pray that someday I will. One of the most beautiful events I have ever seen on television was, during the last few World Youth Days, whenever the Holy Father was addressing the crowd a beautiful chant would start within the throngs of participants- "JP2, WE LOVE YOU!" I saw one piece of footage where the Pope says back to this massive group, and to the rest of the world, "JP2, LOVES YOU TOO!" I personally believe that the future of the Catholic Church are teenagers. I admired Pope John Paul II for his commitment to the young, and letting us know how important we are to the church- and if we "let Jesus take the wheel" (sorry, didn't mean to get all Carrie Underwood on you) we can all be saints.



Two of the coolest people to ever walk the face of the Earth, Pope John Paul II and U2's Bono. During this meeting the Holy Father gave Bono a rosary (which, Bono says he always keeps with him at all times), and Bono gave the Pope a pair of his signature sunglasses (to view an awesome pic of Pope John Paul wearing the sunglasses click here.)

May I wish you a blessed Holy Week, Passover, Good Friday and a Happy Easter!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home